Monday, July 27, 2009

Emma Peel: The School Jumper

Before I share my latest FO, I feel moved to digress a bit. It's about blogging. I am a blogging neophyte. I've only had my blog for a little over a year and I only post about once a month or so -- whenever I finish making a knitted item. But I greatly admire many other bloggers (mostly knitters) who write amusing and interesting blogs on a regular basis about a wide range of topics. With these inspirational folks in mind I've been musing a little about broadening the scope of my blog to share my latest read or talk about the amount of yardage I've swum that week. Stuff like that. But then I think to myself, who would really care? And, isn't that the fabric of my private life so why would I splash it all over the Internet? And then, finally, I think to myself, no one ever comments on my blog anyway so I know that I really have very few readers. (Sometimes I even feel a little bit sorry for myself about that last point.) But then I read the Yarn Harlot's recent blog about all of the hate mail she's been getting lately (mostly from one particular offender), and I think maybe I'm lucky that my blog seems to stay under the radar. Mostly I feel saddened that there are a few people out there who have to ruin the fun for the rest of us who would like to trustingly share a little bit of our lives with the world and spread the joy of a well-cut steek or a well-turned heel. Sigh. Okay, digression over. On to the knitting ...

This FO is the second of two knitted jumpers (i.e., sleeveless dresses for all you Brits) I made for my six year-old niece who begins first grade in a month.

She is a very active, athletic little girl who much prefers leggings and jeans to dresses despite the attempts of my sister, my sister's MIL, and me to dress her in girly-girl clothes. So when I saw Emma Peel which is described as a dress that school-age girls will appreciate more than a "frou-frou" knit with ruffles and bows, I thought I'd give it a try.



Okay, I couldn't resist some embellishment, so I embroidered a heart on the breast. I found this particular heart in libbyguillard's Flickr photostream, but I'm not sure if she made it up or used a pattern. Anyway, it was the perfect outline of a heart for this little dress. Sort of like the alligator on Izod shirts.

I love the trompe l'oiel effect of the belt. The skirt design is created using a slip stitch pattern. I added in a third color (the white) to give it a plaid look.



I used Rowan handknit cotton yarn, because my niece lives in Southern California and I thought wool would be too hot for her. But, I have to admit, although cotton yarn has its uses it's like knitting with string in my mind. I muuuuuuch prefer wool!
Anyway, I hope she likes it.
Specifications:
Design: Emma Peel
From: Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines by Kay Gardiner & Ann Shayne
Yarn: Rowan handknit cotton
Needles: US3



If you have something nice to say and you'd like to leave a comment, please do!






4 comments:

Gina said...

A comment for you -
I stumbled upon you because, like you, I am stunned by the abuse aimed at the Yarn Harlot. I found a talented knitter who has made absolutely the CUTEST dress ever for her neice. Good karma to you fellow knitter!

Unknown said...

I feel sorry for myself often, but I continue to blog, and it will be 4 years soon. Just focus on what you are trying to share: the experience you had while crafting, something you tried and learned, lessons for others, etc. Keep going and have fun!

espressoVC said...

Well Said and Well Done!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful jumper for a darling girl! I think she'll look positively smashing in it. A treasured gift from a wonderful Auntie :) ~Deda